5 Innovative Ways to Save Money on Gifts for the Holidays
Saving money on gifts during the holidays can be crucial, especially if you are on a bootstrap budget. However, when necessity calls, sometimes you have to get a little creative. With the economy the way it is and the job market on the fritz, there may be a lot of people in this situation. Yet, while many will choose to get frustrated and let things stress them out, other people will get innovative. This doesn’t mean you have to do anything wild and crazy, but if you decide to choose a certain way to save money, you have to be committed to it. Here are five innovative ways to save money on gifts for the holidays.
- Stop spending money for a total of two months. This is a relatively extreme method, but it makes sense. Simply add up all the miscellaneous and extraneous costs that go on your credit card every month and multiply that by two. There is a good chance that you will be pleasantly surprised. You may not want to cut out dining at restaurants and shopping, but at the end of the month, you could have hundreds of dollars that you could use to purchase holiday gifts.
- Do extensive research. Every year – about two months before the shopping season – the toy buzz starts. Basically, people start talking about all the toys that children will really love. Pay close attention to these toys and take notes, because there is a good chance that these marketing ploys are a great way to pick up new gifts. So, be sure to do your research and then start looking for the best deals – chances are that you will find more than a few great deals.
- Stay home for the holidays. Some people call it a “staycation,” but other people simply call it smart. A staycation is an excellent way to save money during the holidays and it is innovative. Why spend your time off work – for some people paid time off – paying for expensive hotels and airfare, when you can stay at home and not really spend a dime? If you stay at home during the holidays, you can always drive to nearby towns and cities for day trips to really make the most out of the whole experience.
- Use yourself as a gift this holiday season. Many people underestimate their own talents, which is why many people don’t think of themselves when it comes to getting people gifts during the holidays. If you are a massage therapist, you can always give someone an hour of your time during the holidays. If you are a lawyer, perhaps you can offer an hour of free legal advice. Even if it is not your livelihood, you can still think of a way to use your talents for gift giving.
- Start shopping for gifts – the day after Christmas. This might seem crazy, but if you shop for next year’s holiday gifts the day after Christmas, you will save an incredible amount of time and money. When it comes down to it, purchasing gifts can be expensive, so why not think in advance and purchase gifts at an incredible markdown? It may be extreme, but it is innovative.
More to Read: